October 22, 2008

Schemes!

It's no secret that one of my kids is a picky eater. DD will only eat from a list of about 10, maybe 15 things, all bland, all dry, all single foods. She won't eat anything with a sauce and hates to have her food touch or mixed. Can you see OCD tendencies?

Anyway, one of the things that she's dead set against is pizza. We only have to suggest pizza for dinner and there's wailing and gnashing of teeth. So this morning, when she say quite clearly

"Mom, I tried pepperoni pizza. I liked it"

"Oh really?" My almost nonexistent eyebrows are about level with my hairline. I'm waiting for the punchline.

"That means we can go to Chuck E Cheese now right?"

Ah, the other shoe dropped! For those unfamiliar with Chuck E. Cheese, it's a children's arcade who's sole reason for being is to take your money. In a desperate attempt to keep you there as long as possible, they offer assorted fast cardboard meals, most of which are cooked in a microwave and arrives about 2 hours after you've ordered from the 13 yr old serving staff. If I remember correctly it's either pizza substitue or wings substitute.

I can't stand the place - it looks and sounds Lord of the Flies in a room of pokie machines. I've been able to avoid the place by saying that there's nothing there that she'd eat - namely pizza but it appears that she has overcome that last hurdle. I'm going to have to test this quite vigorously before commiting to risking my sanity.

No comments: